I wrote 30 Tips in 30 Days to help improve your LinkedIn Profile.
This is a series of the very best short, useful, actionable LinkedIn tips to dramatically improve your LinkedIn Profile.
Here, I link to all of the articles in the series for your convenience.
Why not bookmark this page for reference? Use Ctrl-D or Cmd-D in your browser, or note this short URL: https://mzs.es/30d
- Originally written: October 31, 2017
Text Updated: July 8, 2019
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 1/30: Your About Section - The pivotal part of your profile is the 'About' section or summary. It needs to be there.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 2/30: Own your own name - Personalise your LinkedIn URL. Edit your LinkedIn URL so that your name is yours.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 3/30: Don’t bury the lead - Use your headline to tell a story. Your headline may be all that people read on your profile.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 4/30: Don’t get distracted - Don't let other people get in your way. Remove the distraction of others' profiles alongside yours.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 5/30: Look your best on LinkedIn - Look your best: invest in a good profile photo - and find out how to choose the best photo to use on LinkedIn.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 6/30: Use a header image on LinkedIn - You have free advertising real estate at the top of your profile: use it! And of course, the size has changed. Again.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 7/30: Talk to me - Use sound or professional video in your profile. It's good to talk. And good to listen.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 8/30: Share your slides - A good slide deck makes a far better impression than simply reading text on your profile. Add yours, free, via Slideshare.net
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 9/30: Add your contact details - They visited your profile. They're not connected, but they want to get in touch. Make it fast and easy.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 10/30: Reorder your LinkedIn roles - Doing more than one job? Work as an Advisor or NED? Put your current roles in the order that suits you.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 11/30: Publish articles on LinkedIn - Show your knowledge and expertise. It'll automatically go to the top of your profile.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 12/30: The power of LinkedIn Recommendations - Recommendations show me that someone else rates you. You're biased, they're not, so it's instant credibility.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 13/30: Be human on LinkedIn - Talk about yourself, and let people know about your enthusiasms and passions beyond work. Be you. Be interesting, and interested.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 14/30: Be a little unexpected - I learned Russian when I was 12, and once opened the fuselage door of a TU-154 in Saint Petersburg when the ground crew could not.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 15/30: Select and sort your LinkedIn Skills - Choose your skills carefully, and place them in the right order. Align them with your core work, and keep revisiting this.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 16/30: Write like Hemingway - I'm kidding, right? No. There's an app for that. Use it. Write better. Be clearer. Be simpler. And get read.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 17/30: Be in the right industry - Which industry are you in? It's important, as although it may be invisible on your profile, Recruiters are not the only people to use industry as a key search tool. This tip includes the definitive list to choose from, not available in plain text on LinkedIn.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 18/30: Add all your emails - This might seem very mundane, and not really a great way to improve your profile on LinkedIn. But you'd be wrong there. Here's why it's important, and how to effect it.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 19/30: All Star is not enough - Why you need your profile to be more than an All-Star experience, and how to go about it...
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 20/30: Don’t get hacked - Need we say more? Here's how to activate LinkedIn's two-factor authentication to protect yourself and your network.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 21/30: Who’s who? Jim? James? Jimmy? Use the name people know you by. If it varies, just include the variations in your summary.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 22/30: Add media to your LinkedIn Profile - A picture paints a thousand words. A video or a slideshow does pretty well, too. So why is your profile just a lot of boring text?
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 23/30: Share your LinkedIn Profile - How and why to get your profile into your emails, web sites and closer to your customers and suppliers.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 24/30: Show me the benefits - Don't tell me you sell shoe polish. Tell me I can save 22.6% on shoe polish, and make my shoes last 3 months longer.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 25/30: Join LinkedIn Groups - Why joining groups is useful, even if you choose to ignore what happens in the groups you join. And how to filter the noise and signal from those groups.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 26/30: Use the past tense - Your previous experience is not your current experience. If you did something in the past, don't talk about it as if you're still doing it - put it in the past tense.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 27/30: Proof read - I don't want to see speling erors on yuor profile. And I don't want you to using poor grammar or bad syntax. Get it checked, because you are nto the best person to proof read your won work.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 28/30: Be brief - Say what's needed, then shut up.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 29/30: No Notifications - I don't need to know every time you tweak your profile. I do want to know when it's important. Here's how to make that work.
- 30 LinkedIn Tips 30/30: Never stop updating - Your profile is never 'complete' any more than you are. Here are some tips for improving further...